Volunteering and Adopting…
We are looking for people who can demonstrate a consistent schedule to help at the foundation. This shows WPF that the individual can commit to time at home for their parrot. We also see that the prospective parrot adopter is knowlegeable in parrot care and maintenance. Sometimes an individual thinks they want an African Grey only to find out they prefer an Amazon or a Cockatoo. Volunteering is fun and you will learn a lot from your new friends at WPF.
How Does a Volunteer Adopt a Parrot?
- Must volunteer for a total of 3 hours a week for six months or 6 hours a week for three months.
- Must be at least 30 years of age. Home visit must be scheduled for WPF to see the environment you would provide.
- Either a Board Member or seasoned volunteer must live in your area to provide the home visit.
- The WPF works closely to facilitate any potential adoption. For any adoption to be finalized it MUST be demonstrated that the bird you want to adopt loves you more than it loves Brian.
- A probation period is assigned to ensure you and your new feathered family member are a great match.
What Does a Volunteer Do?
- Replace water and food bowls before anything else, and then clean cages and floors.
- Cut fruits and veggies, clean kitchen (no teflon products allowed here) cookingware, etc.
- File paperwork brought back by the accountant, enter data into computer system, send certificates, create new files on new parrots including their bloodwork.
- Make handout copies, check e-mails, copy phone messages for Brian.
- Attend parrot shows to help with pictures, setting up.
This is only a sample of jobs that are needed to be done at the facility, not to mention grant writing. Currently, Brian Wilson pays for the parrots necessities from his retirement funds and disability checks, and also depends on donations from pictures taken at parrot shows. Students along with girl and boy scouts may volunteer to fulfill their community service hours for school or troop badges.
Please contact Belinda Brotherson via call or text @9123326485 to find out when the next new volunteer orientation session will be held.